Best Breeds for Beginners
Rhode Island Red
- Excellent layers, producing more than 250 medium-sized eggs per year
- Very friendly and docile
- Easy to care for – can adapt to confinement or free ranging
- Hardy breed
- Lay 250-300 medium eggs per year
- Not a great choice if you’re looking for a pet as they aren’t very friendly or tame
- Lightweight, just around 4 lbs.
- Tolerate the heat well
- Great meat bird – fast growing, large bird
- Less active and easily contained
- Should be kept separate from the rest of the flock
- Cold-hardy breed
*Content taken from the book, Little Giant, a beginner’s guide to raising chickens.