Backyard chickens are becoming more popular than ever! And with more and more communities across the nation relaxing their regulations on owning poultry within city limits, the backyard chicken movement is really taking flight!
Whether you choose to raise your birds for eggs, meat or just their funny personalities as feathered companions, we’ve compiled some facts and tips on making the most out of your flock.
Why raise chickens?
- Nutritious and delicious eggs
- They make great pets
- Great for fertilizing your yard
- Natural pest control
- Great fertilizer
Fun facts about chickens:
- Chickens have more than 30 types of vocalizations
- Chickens have more bones in their neck than a giraffe
- It takes 25 hours for an egg to be made inside a hen
- There are more chickens on Earth than humans
- Chickens can recognize up to 100 individual faces
- Chickens can run at speeds up to 9 mph
- Chickens have full colour vision
- The average hen lays up to 300 eggs per year